I thought I was finished with pink, but no, there is still more of it laying around and apparently girl babies are still being born, and they still like pink. I like to throw in other colors like the red, and aqua; so it isn't ALL pink. Oh, there is a little orange too.
I cut 4 1/2" triangles to put together. This is going to be a simple top, but stunning with the color! Using up some of my black and white Dr. Seuss. I wanted one side of the squares to all be the same. Sewing triangles together is so easy and quick. This top went together fast.
I end up with a pile of triangles sewn together. I didn't count before this point. I get to anxious to start sewing after some cutting, and cutting is a little boring, I want to sew and see what the squares look like. I had cut triangles of each of the colors I was using, and it was a big pile, but NEVER do I have enough cut the first round.
After pressing all the little flags open, I did count. I was going for 10 rows of 10, 100 (I can do some math), only 40 more to go, so more cutting, sewing, pressing. I pressed toward the color, away from the white.
After some random placements, I decided to arrange the darkest triangles to make a "J", for the baby's name I rotated a few a different direction to make the "J" look right. I thought it was a cute idea, until I showed my husband, and he didn't see the 'J' in there. Really? To me it is so obvious. So, I emailed a picture to some quilter friends, and they saw the "J", so I decided I was originally asking the wrong audience.
I hate when this happens! I can never get the pieces back up there just the way I originally had them placed! Even looking at a picture.
I ended up adding a border of 4 1/2" squares of the pinks, to make the quilt larger. Just the triangles wasn't large enough, and this was just right for a baby.
Momentarily, I had hope that I wouldn't have to piece a back, that a yard of fabric would just STRETCH across the back, but no. I had to piece, because I added that square border. I used more of the pink squares and threw them in there for the back. When I showed my husband (I must stop doing that) he said the squares made a cross, which was not my intention, and Ok, they did resemble a cross a little bit, I will admit.