Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Bee Quilt Entry

I'm entering a quilt in the Blogger's Festival - Bee Quilts category.  Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has set up different categories to enter and has great prizes from sponsors.  Go check out all the quilts!  And everyone has a chance to vote from Nov 1-7

This was one of my favorite quilts to finish this year.  One it incorporated one of my favorite lines of fabric Joel Dewberry's Aviary 2, two the blocks were already done for me with a group of ladies from an older bee on Flickr, and three while putting together the top it occurred to me that I had a friend that this quilt would be perfect for.   


The block I had selected for the bee is from the book, Block Party, The Modern Quilting Bee.  

So these blocks sat for awhile, or for a year.  Maybe more. I played with the blocks some, trying to figure out how to incorporate the bird fabric. And then I would put them away, having to think on it some more.


And then one day there was some serious sewing mojo happened and I came up with a plan.



The mojo involved sewing and math and placement play but it came together


And then I had a very nice quilt for a very dear friend 






I love the way the Aviary fabric is highlighted in the borders - I had just enough.  I used a mixture of Kona solids and Kaffe Fassett shot cottons for the solids.  


Many thanks to the ladies in my bee that helped put together some of my blocks.  Thank you for stopping by to see the photos for my entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival bee group.    I appreciate all your comments.  Be sure to visit the other fabulous quilts on Amy's Blog and place your vote in the different categories from Nov 1-7

Keep Calm and Quilt On!
Mary


4 comments:

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful job - I love how your stripes bleed off into the border!

Leanne said...

I love how this quilt came together, it is beautiful!

SarahZ said...

I love how you brought it all together, it is beautiful!!!

moira said...

I wasn't sure at first but I flipping love this quilt