I had chosen the Granny Square block for my month in Gone Quiltin' Bee. There were several of us that chose that block pattern for our month, it was my first time making this block while in the Bee. After making the block a couple of times, I wanted a quilts' worth for myself. I kept my centers the same, and used a variety of Kaffe Fassett fabrics and a few others for the print squares. My block background is Kona Ash.
I put these together for a baby quilt, not using all the blocks but not going too large for a baby quilt.
Now, this is for a boy, and I had mixed reviews on how appropriate these colors were for a boy. Quilters were all 'Yay' and family was all 'No'. I'm going with the quilters review.
Probably not a traditional 'boy' choice, but it is a baby quilt. Honestly, I don't think the Mother is going to not love this quilt.
After I had the 16 blocks together and while quilting, I decided to add another row of blocks, it just didn't feel large enough. I left one edge un-quilted so I could add on another row. This used up almost all of the bee blocks.
I had to add the row of blocks, add a strip of backing, and batting. Not the easiest assembly, but I got it there.
Now, all of the quilting is done, I did straight line stitching around each color block and also inside each color block. I am happy to have put some bee blocks together. I accidentally used a block that was one of my samples, it has the red pieces in it. After I made the sample, I decided to eliminate that fabric from the rest of the blocks. It stands out here, but I feel that when being used no one else will notice. At least that is what I'm telling myself, because it sure isn't coming out.
The size suits me now.
I am in love with how the back looks. I used a light blue Kona for the backing, to add to the 'boyness' and blue thread in the bobbin. Probably still not the most 'boyish' of quilts, but a good baby quilt none the less.
I am working on the binding so this baby can be washed and snuggled under.