Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

WIP Wednesday

I am trying trying trying to get this top done.  It is confounding me.  I had plans to finish this last weekend, but the borders tripped me up.  


I did finally figure out which bee this was from - a bee from long long ago - Threadheads - a bee where I made my first mod mosaic block, first dresden plate block, and first X and plus block.  

My troubles began because this top looked fine just the way it is, without a border.  But I was determined to use this fabric in the borders.  The fabric in the front - Joel Dewberry Aviary2 in the purple color way.  The whole reason I picked this block and wanted to make this quilt.


So I tried just putting the fabric by itself next to the top.  I felt this just framed the center, looked very stark, and I thought I could do better. (bad night photo)


Then I made 12.5" blocks that matched the center blocks.  Luckily, I am a hoarder collector organized individual, and I had all the fabrics and cut strips together from sending out these blocks ever so long ago.  And I had all the blocks together, it amazed me just a little.  



This isn't really talking to me either, except to say 'not quite right'.


Next, I cut those just sewn together strips and blocks in half.  Now, I'm starting to see where I want to go.



I am able to utilize both sides of the cut in half block - thank goodness, was so afraid I was wasting so much - The hardest part is making sure I have the birds in the fabric going in the correct direction.  I could have mixed it up, but i think it will finish better with the birds sitting up instead of going every whichaway.  ( another bad night time photo)


Linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.


Keep Calm and Quilt On!
Mary

6 comments:

Dee said...

Thanks for sharing your design process with us! The colors you chose really caught my eye....sew lovely! Keep going, this is going to be amazing!

Angie said...

That Aviary print is one of my favorites. I like the direction you've gone with the top. Looks great.

Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts said...

Seriously .. stop! This is so fantastic!

I love seeing how your making this work.

Cindi said...

That is looking great. I love the colors.

CapitolaQuilter said...

You are so smart to keep pushing until it feels like it's in the right direction. The difference between where you started auditioning the border and the last version are night and day - just love it.

Renee said...

what a neat quilt! The colors and strips work so well together.