I am trying trying trying to get this top done. It is confounding me. I had plans to finish this last weekend, but the borders tripped me up.
I did finally figure out which bee this was from - a bee from long long ago - Threadheads - a bee where I made my first mod mosaic block, first dresden plate block, and first X and plus block.
My troubles began because this top looked fine just the way it is, without a border. But I was determined to use this fabric in the borders. The fabric in the front - Joel Dewberry Aviary2 in the purple color way. The whole reason I picked this block and wanted to make this quilt.
So I tried just putting the fabric by itself next to the top. I felt this just framed the center, looked very stark, and I thought I could do better. (bad night photo)
Then I made 12.5" blocks that matched the center blocks. Luckily, I am a
hoarder collector organized individual, and I had all the fabrics and cut strips together from sending out these blocks ever so long ago. And I had all the blocks together, it amazed me just a little.
This isn't really talking to me either, except to say 'not quite right'.
Next, I cut those just sewn together strips and blocks in half. Now, I'm starting to see where I want to go.
I am able to utilize both sides of the cut in half block - thank goodness, was so afraid I was wasting so much - The hardest part is making sure I have the birds in the fabric going in the correct direction. I could have mixed it up, but i think it will finish better with the birds sitting up instead of going every whichaway. ( another bad night time photo)
Linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.
Keep Calm and Quilt On!