Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Granola Recipe

Like Richard Nixon, 'I am not a cook.'  That was what he said, right?  
I may have lost a letter or something in the years since those words were uttered.

 I like a tidy house, I like good meals.  I don't like to clean and I definitely don't like to cook.  I will do those things, they are somewhat required in a home, I'm just not jumping up and down on the days when the dust balls are so obvious I have no choice.  And all my family is old enough, have their own money and transportation,  if they are super hungry they know where to find food.  They can, in fact, cook for themselves.  My daughter is vegan, and she can whip up awesome vegetarian meals and smoothies.  

Don't judge me too harshly, I do enjoy doing the laundry.  Yes, enjoy.  

Now when I say, 'I don't like to cook', I mean the every day meal stuff.   I like to make bread and cookies and specialty items.  I have some favorite recipes that I make for get togethers, like homemade macaroni and cheese, or peach bread pudding.  
I also have a favorite granola recipe that I am going to share with you.  When I started making my own granola from this recipe, I loved it so much, I could never go back to purchased granola.  I go without when I run out, store bought tastes too sweet now, and I love the flavor the olive oil adds to this granola.  

Before toasting

Maple Granola
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup dried unsweetened coconut chips
  • 1 cup pecans or walnuts, quartered
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp coarse salt
  • 3/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Mix together oats, coconut, nuts, syrup, oil, sugar, sesame seeds, salt and nutmeg

Spread granola in even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.  Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for 40 minutes.  
Add raisins and bake until granola is toasted about 10 minutes more.  Let cool completely.

Note granola can be stored at room temperature for up to two weeks.  Makes 7 cups.

Mary's notes:  I use coconut flakes, I haven't ever located coconut chips.  The flakes work fine.
                            I use pine nuts instead of sesame seeds.
                            I do not have 'fresh nutmeg', I just use the nutmeg spice.
                            I don't care too much for raisins, I substitute dried cranberries.

I wrote out the original recipe I found years ago in the paper (our newspaper has been a great source for recipes over the years).  I wanted to provide the original and let you how what I had adapted for my personal taste.  

After toasting

The first time I bought all the ingredients I thought the recipe was cost prohibitive, what with the walnuts and the rolled oats and maple syrup.  In reality, it isn't as all those ingredients last through several uses in the recipe.  I use the rolled oats in very little else, or the coconut.  Some of the other ingredients will be used in other recipes, or like the dried cranberries, just generally eaten.


And now enjoy with your favorite yogurt or cereal or fruit.  Sometimes I just carry some in a baggie for snacking on.  

And this is what I am working on today, Madrona Road Challenge for the Modern Quilt Guild.


I only got the fabric packet from our local Modern Guild yesterday.  To be considered and entered for Quilt Con I have to have something completed by Jan 31.  Just 11 days from now.  No pressure.  None at all.  



3 comments:

Colleen said...

Thanks for the recipe, Mary. I may try that. I love my granola for breakfast, but I agree with you that the commercial brands are too sweet. And the farmers market kinds are really overpriced.

Leanne said...

That sounds very good and good luck with the challenge.

jeifner said...

Oh, I've never tried it with olive oil. Next time I'll try that. We just made some this week and also put toasted pumpkin seeds and that was yummy.