Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sewn Together Jan Block

I honestly love participating in Bees on Flickr, I anticipate my month coming up.  I spend too much time, usually agonizing, which block I want the others to make, what fabrics to use, what color, should it be hard, should it be easy.  I have a hard time choosing just one block.  Down to the wire, I finally chose a block for my month in the Sewn Together Bee.

I am using a block found in Modern Blocks, 99 Quilt Blocks.  I love this book!  So many great blocks to look at and use.
I am using Potager found on pg 146.


I'm using a selection of Velocity prints with Kona Med Gray solid.

You will start with 2 squares 6" X 6" of the main print.  
Cut these in half on the diagonal.



Cut the solid Kona squares (6 5/8" X 6 5/8") on the diagonal.


With right sides together sew a strip of orange print to each print triangle, on the long edge of the triangle, use 1/4" seam allowance.  Do this to each triangle print.  Press seams open.


Trim the orange print to even ends with the print triangle (in photo above, top untrimmed, bottom trimmed).


With right sides together, sew a solid Gray triangle to the pieced triangle, along the orange edge.  Press seams open.
You will now have 4 squares, ideally these should measure 6 1/4" X 6 1/4".


Layout as above and sew a short gray strip (6 1/4" X 1") to join 2 squares together, pressing seams open.
Sew long gray strip (12 1/2" X 1") to sew the 2 sections into block.  Press seams open.


Here is the block placed on the diagonal!  Yay!   Easy-peasy.

I will use a selection of main prints, but all blocks will have the orange print and Kona Med Grey solid.  
I will include enough pieces for you to complete 2 blocks.
Can't wait to see these awesome blocks in the group pool!  
P.S.  I looked up Potager, I was sure it meant something special

A French style ornamental kitchen garden.

'A potager is similar to the traditional English cottage garden but mainly based on vegetables and other edible plants and herbs, often incorporating some cut flower plants for the household.

The plants are chosen for their form, colour and taste, with seasonality and continuity of fresh vegetables for the household in mind, also should be low maintenance and closely planted'

My quilt will be a garden of city sights.  I love it!

2 comments:

Sorrel said...

I love the fabrics you chose. I loved reading the definition, too - what a perfect name for this sweet little block.

Off to sew now!
Sorrel

Francine said...

Thank you Mary, I'll have to trouble following your awesome directions!